Wednesday, November 08, 2006

News From an Orphaned State

It is not seemly to be so glum when so many great things are happening in the country (ok, some crappy things are happening too; of the eight states that had the hatred amendment on their ballot only Arizona realized that you should “not call impure what God has made clean” – Acts 10:15). But I feel like the kid that got underwear for Christmas, while all of my friends got cool presents. I mean I am really happy for them, and it kind of means that Santa is still on the job and maybe next year, if Mommy and Daddy stop drinking and sniffing that white powder off the coffee table I will get neat presents too. The wins nationwide are wins for all of us, but I just wish I could feel I had something to do with it, that my vote contributed to the whole thing. I guess democracy is more than voting, though. While I was writing this (really! I always question when somebody says “just now” because, how weird is that?), the presidential substitute announced that Donald Rumsfeld is resigning as Secretary of Defense, and I did call for his resignation many times. Maybe we wore him down.

Anyway, congratulations to the new Democratic House (and it is increasingly looking like the Senate also); I wish I could have been more help. And, oh yeah, I’ll be keeping my eye on you. That “D” by your name doesn’t give you a free ride in my book. Now the easy part is over and it is time to give the country back to the people.
(I should probably throw a gratuitous “God bless you” in there also, but “He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.” Matthew 5:45b)

No comments: